Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Surviving the Storm: Joining the Dance

"They found grace out in the desert, these people who survived the killing.Israel, out looking for a place to rest, met God out looking for them!"
God told them, "I've never quit loving you and never will.
Expect love, love, and more love!  
And so now I'll start over with you
and build you up again, dear virgin Israel.
You'll resume your singing, grabbing tambourines and joining the dance.
You'll go back to your old work of planting vineyards on the Samaritan hillsides,And sit back and enjoy the fruit— oh, how you'll enjoy those harvests!The time's coming when watchmen will call out from the hilltops of Ephraim:'On your feet! Let's go to Zion, go to meet our God!'"

         -Jeremiah 3:2-6, The Message

Without going into any details, the last week has been extremely rough.  You've heard the phrase When it rains, it pours, right?  I feel like I'm in the midst of a tsunami some days.  I'm sure you've also heard this: The Lord will never give you more than you can handle, and I believe that.  But what I sometimes forget is that God will not give me more than I can handle WITH HIS HELP.  Alone - I cannot handle it.  And when I try - that is when I start to sink to the bottom and let the storm overtake me.

A very wise pastor and friend always reminds me of this nugget of wisdom:

Don't tell God how big your storm is,
Tell the storm how big your GOD is.

Lion Before The Storm II, Sitting Profile, Maasai Mara by Nick Brandt

So, during weeks like this, when I feel like I'm drowning - I am going to picture God as the great Lion.  I will bury my head in His mane and I will hold on tight as He gracefully walks me through the tempest.  Because I truly believe that something wonderful awaits on the other side of the storm.

Someday, probably not tomorrow, or next week, or even next month - but in HIS timing - I will be able to pick up my tambourine and I will join in the dance.  The promise of that day and the warmth of His love for me are what give me the strength to keep going when I don't think I have anything left.

If you are struggling too, do not give up, because the end will make all of this worth it.  He promised us and I choose to believe it.  So don't throw your tambourine away . . . you're going to need it.

Today's song is "Praise You in this Storm" by Casting Crowns.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, know that I'm praying for you. I'm trying to keep up on the blog to know how to pray. :-) Please feel free to email me as you need to. I may be in Tennessee, but I AM here for you. If you need to call and just talk, email me and I'll get you my phone number. I am asking God to continue to hold you in His arms.

    When I made my big decision to end a non-Christian relationship, I kept coming back to the fact that God knows EVERY tear I cry...and that He's holding me and collecting my tears in a bottle. Is that part scriptural? I don't remember...but I knew He was there...I imagined myself sitting in His lap and just crying.

    Praying!!

    ReplyDelete